Emergency Dental Services
Sky Dental Kids is here for your pediatric dental emergency in NYC. No matter how prepared a parent you are, or how much you’d love to wrap your babies in bubble wrap, pediatric dental emergencies aren’t always avoidable. A broken tooth, knocked out tooth, toothache, or bitten tongue can have you Googling “urgent dental care near me” in an instant. In the time it takes to say, “Watch out for that…,” you can go from a day at the pool to a day at the dentist. Sky Dental Kids in Lower Manhattan is here to help!
What is a Dental Emergency?
A pediatric dental emergency is a situation where your child needs to see a dentist right away, or very soon. Fortunately, most pediatric dental emergencies fall into the very-soon category. The following issues are ones in which you should call us immediately or first thing on the next business day so that we can get your child in ASAP:
- Broken tooth
- Knocked out tooth, especially permanent
- Chipped tooth, especially permanent
- Swelling of gum tissue
- Luxated tooth (knocked out of position)
- Abscess tooth / infection
The rare cases in which you should call 911 or go to an emergency room if it’s outside of our business hours might include:
- Known or suspected broken jaw
- Persistent bleeding from any part of the mouth, especially from a deep cut or wound
- Injury to the back of the mouth from straw, utensil, or similar
What to Do in a Dental Emergency
We’ve mentioned that you should call us right away or as soon as we’re open on the next business day, but what else? What else to do in a dental emergency depends upon the nature of the emergency, so let’s take a look at a few common ones and discuss the best course of action.
The knocked-out tooth is a biggie! Out of all the common pediatric dental emergencies, this one probably feels the most like an emergency. In the case of a knocked-out baby tooth, it’s not as serious. We’ll still want to see your child if they knock out a baby tooth to make sure everything else is okay, but you don’t need to bring us the tooth. For a knocked-out permanent tooth, on the other hand, here’s what to do:
- Recover the tooth if possible.
- Handle it by the crown only, not the root.
- Rinse the tooth with plain water.
- Place the tooth in a jar or glass of milk, storing it in the refrigerator until you can get to the dentist.
- Call us! We’ll give you a time to come in.
- Come on in and bring us the tooth.
At Sky Dental Kids, you’ll find the best pediatric dentists in NYC; and we’ll get your child’s tooth fixed up right!
For starters, we always recommend parents get their child to rinse with warm salt water and floss around the area first. This should eliminate the possibility of food or a foreign object stuck between the teeth or between a tooth and gum tissue.
In addition to rinsing, flossing, and giving Sky Dental Kids a call, you might consider a cold compress if there’s swelling. Meanwhile, we’ll get you an appointment ASAP to see your child and find out what’s hurting their tooth.
How Do You Treat a Wound in a Child’s Mouth?
If your kiddo’s mouth is bleeding, start by being calm. Easier said than done, right? Try to keep in mind that it often looks so much worse than it is! Here’s what to do:
- Have a look to discern where the blood is coming from.
- Use a wet cloth (clean, of course!) to apply pressure for five minutes or so.
- If that stops the bleeding, great! Now you can have them rinse their mouth with cold water.
- If the wet cloth didn’t stop the bleeding, put it back in place and hold it there for ten minutes. If the bleeding hasn’t stopped after ten straight minutes of pressure, seek medical attention. Call Sky Dental Kids if it’s during business hours or your urgent/emergency care of choice if it’s outside of business hours.
- If all seems well–the bleeding has stopped, the wound appears superficial–then your child can begin enjoying ice cubes or popsicles to bring down swelling and inflammation.
- You may use your judgment here. Please do call us for an appointment if you have any concerns at all about the injury to your child’s mouth.
All Other Pediatric Dental Emergencies
For all other pediatric dental emergencies, give us a call! We’re your “dental urgent care near me” in Lower Manhattan. And we’re here to help your child have a great dental experience, even in emergencies.
“Dental Urgent Care Near Me” in NYC
In the event of a mishap, don’t despair! Sky Dental Kid’s compassionate staff will do whatever they can to get your child’s smile back in business. The best pediatric dentist in NYC is here to help you navigate pediatric dental emergencies when they happen.