Invisalign® is the world’s most popular alternative to braces, particularly among adults. Now teens can enjoy the benefits of these clear aligners too. About half of teens say they would feel self-conscious about wearing braces, so we at Sky Dental Kids are thrilled to offer Invisalign for teens in NYC. Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible, plus the cost of Invisalign in NYC is now about the same as braces.
What is Invisalign for Teens?
Invisalign for teens is very similar to standard Invisalign–a system of clear aligners that straightens teeth, resolves bite issues, and can even treat airway or TMJ problems. You’ll find some minor differences, however, between Invisalign for teens vs Invisalign for adults, including:
- Wear indicators: We don’t know if you’ve noticed, but teens aren’t always the most disciplined bunch. And since Invisalign aligners are removable, it can be tempting to take them out for all sorts of reasons. The effectiveness of Invisalign relies on patients wearing their aligners for 20–22 hours per day, so there is a wear-indicator dot on Invisalign Teen® aligners.
- Eruption tabs: Teens’ (and tweens’) mouths are still growing and changing. Your child may still have some baby teeth. Invisalign for teens includes room for them to grow.
- Extra trays: Another over-generalization about teens: they can lose stuff. Some kiddos are super-conscientious, and congratulations if that describes your child! But, since teens’ lives involve a lot of going from place to place, regular distractions, and frequent impromptu crunchy snacks, we make sure they have plenty of trays in case of loss.
How Much Does Invisalign for Teens Cost in NYC?
Braces or Invisalign may represent the most you’ve spent on your kiddo at one time since that circus academy summer camp they couldn’t live without. The good news is that we happily finance Invisalign treatments for teens, interest free.
The cost of Invisalign for teens varies according to the complexity of treatment and the length of time they’ll be wearing them. But you can expect a total price in the $3000 to $6000 range. If your child has dental insurance, their plan may cover a portion of this cost.
Who Is a Candidate for Invisalign Teen®?
Most teens who are candidates for metal braces can get Invisalign. There may be a few exceptions, but of course we’ll let you know if Invisalign won’t work for your teen. Good Invisalign Teen candidates must also be able and willing to wear their aligners for the minimum 20–22 hours per day.
Can Invisalign Cause Cavities?
A lot of patients’ parents ask if Invisalign causes cavities, or if it causes bad breath, or gum issues. This question is better reframed as a conversation about how to take care of your child’s teeth when they’re wearing Invisalign. And it also comes back to the question of who is a candidate for Invisalign Teen. Certain hygiene habits are essential with Invisalign, including:
- Brushing and flossing after each meal
- Cleaning Invisalign aligners daily
- Storing the Invisalign aligners in a case while eating, or anytime they’re not in use
If you think your teen would struggle with the above practices, then you may consider braces for them instead.
Benefits of Invisalign for Teens
If your teen is in fact a good candidate for Invisalign Teen, then it offers tons of benefits for them. We love to see teenagers transform with the new confidence they gain. Some benefits include:
- As a nearly invisible alternative to braces, children do not tend to feel self-conscious about wearing Invisalign.
- Meanwhile, their smile improves steadily, which gives them more confidence.
- Removable aligners mean that patients have no dietary restrictions.
- Invisalign for teens corrects almost any bite dysfunction your child may have, which can improve speech, chewing, and digestion.
- The hygiene required becomes habit, and teens often keep those habits long after their orthodontic treatment ends.
- The fact that your teen’s own effort is so directly tied to outcome is a rare opportunity of empowerment in self-care.
How Long Does Invisalign Teen Take?
Some very minor treatments can be as quick as 3–4 months, but the average treatment time is 12–18 months. Some cases may even take 24 months or more. Naturally, the better your teen does with wearing their aligners, the closer their actual treatment time will match our estimate.
Who Does Invisalign for Teens in NYC?
Book an appointment at Sky Dental kids today to learn more about Invisalign for teens, how it works, and if it’s a good choice for your teen!